Come build with us!
The VRC will be assisting Flatirons Habitat for Humanity in the Ponderosa neighborhood! Volunteers can expect to be outside doing home construction work such as framing, siding, and porch construction.
Here's more information from Habitat for Humanity about what to expect:
Ponderosa Mobile Home Park is located near West Four Mile Canyon Creek. In 2017, the city purchased the site with plans to preserve long-term affordability, replace outdated infrastructure and reduce flood risk to the community. Infrastructure work started Summer of 2020, replacing the damaged and aging systems.
Flatirons Habitat for Humanity will build new affordable and highly energy-efficient, fixed foundation homes.
Several different home designs will be available to meet the needs of the community and residents. Flatirons Habitat for Humanity will build on-site with the support of volunteers and is exploring the possibility of a factory to build the homes off-site to avoid disturbance in the community.
Construction experience is welcome, but not necessary. Everyone is welcome to build with us.
- We will provide all necessary tools, training, and instruction. Please wear closed-toed shoes and layered clothing that is appropriate for both indoor and outdoor work, and that you don’t mind getting dirty. We also suggest bringing a water bottle. Water and snacks are available at the construction site, but please provide your own lunch. Lunch breaks are typically taken midday.
Mask/COVID Update: In keeping with Boulder County Public Health (BCPH)mask wearing is optional in all indoor public spaces.
- We are asking volunteers to bring their own mask, work gloves and eye protection for the day. Eye protection can be glasses or light lens sunglasses. Hand sanitizer is available at the site. Tools are cleaned daily.
- Winter Hours: 9:00 AM and will last until 3:00 PM
- The construction site orientation and safety review begins at the designated start time and is required for you to work on the site, so please plan to be on time.
- All volunteers must register before volunteering or they will be turned away at the site.
- All volunteers must be at least 16 years old. All volunteers ages 16 and 17 also must be accompanied by a parent/guardian the day of the build. Minors are not permitted to operate power tools or be on ladders because of safety concerns, but there are plenty of ways to get involved on the construction site and we work to provide a meaningful experience for all involved!
- Build days may be cancelled because of weather. Should this occur, we will email out a notice 7:00 a.m. the day of the build. Please watch for email updates if weather looks questionable.
Here’s how to sign the waiver to volunteer (must be completed along with CUServes registration):
- Go to the Flatirons Habitat for Humanity website
- See Volunteer, blue box, upper right corner of the page
- Log In or Create Account - you will need a login and password
- Use “Join Code” VRC
- Skip “Affiliations” you can select affiliations from the menu
- (Join Code and Affiliations allows you to sign up for a reserved date with a group)
- Complete your account by agreeing to the waiver
- Then you can go to the calendar and click on “sign up” for Saturday April 22 at Ponderosa